Tue 04 Jul 2023
Inverclyde's leading property firm, Bowman Rebecchi has been appointed as the new letting agent for the retirement flats at Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners Court in Greenock.
The Category A-listed Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners’ Home is recognised as one of Greenock’s finest buildings, with the rear extension and adjoining retirement flats known as Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners’ Court.
Gourock-based Bowman Rebecchi has taken on the management of the retirement flats, supporting the owners and tenants through its lettings arm, Bowman Rebecchi Letting.
The 4-storey Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariner's Court is of 1970s construction and comprises self-contained retirement accommodation in the form of 10 studio apartments and 20 one-bedroom flats.
With access from Finnart Street and Drums Terrace, the property was built in the 1970s and provides a superb modern lifestyle for mature or retired tenants.
The property enjoys a desirable west-end location, with superb top-floor views of the grounds, and sits on a site extending to a total of 7.12 acres (2.88 hectares) within attractive landscaped grounds, overlooking Newark Street within the impressive west end of Greenock.
Kathleen Docherty, Office Manager at Bowman Rebecchi, said:
“It is a real honour to be named as the new managing agent for Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners Court and it has been great to spend some time with the tenants over the past few weeks.
“The building and surrounds are an important piece of Greenock’s heritage and naturally we were delighted when the owners approached Bowman Rebecchi.
“It is further growth for our already extensive letting portfolio which stretches across the west of Scotland, and we continue to welcome new landlords on a regular basis.
“The properties themselves rarely come to market, and we are pleased to confirm that we have successfully secured a new tenant for the last available property.
“We look forward to growing a strong relationship with the tenants and landlords alike.”
The main building remains in separate ownership and was previously operated as a care home for ex-mariners and seamen since it was founded in 1850 by Sir Gabriel Wood, a Commissary General born in Gourock in 1767 and closed in 2020 before being sold the following year.
Wood travelled the world and held senior posts in North America during the Napoleonic Wars.
His family later moved to Greenock and following his death in 1845, his widow and sister, Lady Louisa Augusta Wood and Miss Francis Ann Wood carried out his dying wish to find a care facility for aged master mariners and merchant seamen within his native town.
Image courtesy of Jeremy Burrows.